St. Patrick’s College is located 2 km from the center of Talawakelle, along Hatton Road. Its main building can be seen from far, because it is on the hill of St. Clair Tea Estate, close to St. Patrick’s Church.
The College was founded in 1936 with the purpose to give good education to the tea plantation children and to be the “leading school in the Hill Country, forming disciplined and responsible future citizens of Sri Lanka”(the Vision). This purpose remains still valid.
Children come to the College mainly from nearby Talawakelle and its various estates, but also from more distant places like Kotagala, Hatton, Norwood, Lindulla, Matakelle, Elgin, Agrapatana, Nanuoya, Punduloya. Many of them are the children of tea plantation workers.